Sunday, February 22, 2015

An Enchanted Baby Gift


This post is about the second baby gift I made this year. Because the two expectant mothers were sisters, I wanted to give each equal yet different gifts, so I turned out another baby blanket, pair of booties, and bunny.





This is the Enchanted Castle Afghan, designed by Nicky Epstein. It's available for $9.00(USD). There are a number of comments on this pattern's Ravelry page complaining about the printing issues with this pattern, and I have to agree that, especially given that this was such an expensive pattern, it was irritating that I had to spend so much time figuring out how to print off the chart for this afghan, hand correct the pattern (some elements of it didn't show up in the print out), tape the pages together, and then deal with an unwieldy multi-page chart. Sure, this is a cute pattern, but in the end it wasn't really worth it.





However, what's done is done, and this is my version of the Enchanted Castle Afghan. I had some of this winter white Bernat Super Value acrylic worsted on hand and was able to buy another skein (that whole "no dye lot" thing can be awesome sometimes), so that is what I used.





With the blanket done, I moved on to the booties. I selected the Criss Cross Booties pattern, designed by Angela Juergens. This pattern was published in 60 Quick Baby Knits: Blankets, Booties, Sweaters & More.





This is my version of the Criss Cross Booties pattern. I used the winter white Bernat Super Value yarn for them as well.





And this is the bunny I sewed to go with the blanket and booties. I used McCall's pattern 6907 and a cuddly and durable dark brown stretch velvet. And I hope no one I know has any more babies for at least six months. I produced two baby blankets in a month and am baby blanketed-out.

No comments:

Post a Comment