Friday, March 2, 2018

Old Rose Cap & Scarf


In January 2017, when the inspiring and massive Women's March was happening and I was looking at photos of seas of pink hats, I reflected that I really ought to have a pink-ish hat to wear in case I was ever able to participate in such a protest. I don't look good in pink, but I can wear old rose, which seemed close enough. I decided in the tail end of 2017 that my February knitting project would be an old rose cap and scarf that would go with the dark brown coat I recently made myself.





As to the pattern, I'd long had my eye on this Sunflower Medallion Beret, designed by Anna Al. The pattern is an inventive one, and that little garter stitch tie detail is so cute. As for the yarn, I bought two skeins of sweetgeorgia Tough Love Sock, in Passionfruit.





And here's the finished project. I made the hat first, and then I made a scarf to go with it. I used the lace pattern from the sides of the hat, with a border of garter stitches. The scarf is 74 inches long, which will make it long enough to wear in a slipknot. It's a pretty set, and the hat is more or less becoming on me, though I do have more flattering ones. Of the three photos in this post, this one is the truest representation of the colour. My camera doesn't seem to do colour well.





With this design, you really need to see the top of the hat to appreciate it. It's not a terribly warm design, but then if you want a warm cap you'd wear one made of a heavier yarn than fingering.

When I made the scarf, I just kept knitting until the yarn was very nearly gone. There was just a tiny bobbin left that didn't even register on the scale when I tried to weigh it, so I'm going to count this project, which was made with newly purchased yarn, as having neither added to nor decreased my yarn stash.

No comments:

Post a Comment